The National Archives of Australia Advisory Council is established under the Archives Act 1983 (subsection 10–1). Its role is to advise the Minister and the Director-General on matters relevant to the Archives' functions.
The Minister or the Director-General may refer such matters to the Council for advice, or the Council may offer advice of its own accord.
The Council has up to 13 members, including a Senator chosen by the Senate, a member of the House of Representatives chosen by the House, and 11 other members appointed by the Minister.
Current members of the National Archives of Australia Advisory Council are:
- Dr Denver Beanland (Chair)
- Ms Jade Balfour
- Suzanne Hampel OAM
- Ms Anne Henderson AM
- Professor John Williams
- Dr Phil Robertson, FTSE
- Dr Rosemary Laing
- Emeritus Professor Peter Boyce AO
- Mr Adam Creighton
- Professor (Emeritus) Sally Walker AM
Former Advisory Council Members
- Senator Claire Moore
- Mr David Irvine AO
- Mr Christopher Puplick AM
- The Hon Jane Prentice MP
- Mr A J (Jack) Campbell OBE, 1984–88
- Mr Ralph Jacobi AM, 1988–91
- Professor J L (Jack) Goldring, 1991–94
- Ms Beverley Schurr (Acting), 1994–95
- Mr Rodney Cavalier, 1994–98
- The Hon J J (Jim) Carlton AO, 1998-2003
- Mr Paul Santamaria SC, 2003–10
- Ms Helen Williams AO (Acting), 2010–11
- The Hon Dr John Bannon AO, FASSA 2011–14
Titles and post nominals are those held during Advisory Council membership.